Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The "F" Word ... and Walmart

Fireworks, yes, fireworks is quickly becoming a four-letter word.
I am staying at a KOA Kampground tonight and on their website they advertise fireworks in town on Wednesday and Saturday nights. Perfect! Today is Wednesday. After the Fireworks Fiasco of Niagara Falls, this is just what I need. Luckily I decided to look it up before hand and I discovered for the Bronze tickets, yes tickets to see fireworks, are $45.99 and they even helpfully mention that parking will be $20. But, folks, flares are the new fireworks. I made my way into Montreal from the Kampground to a Walmart to see if I can find a cheap beach air mattress only to discover it closed at 9 pm. I could have tried to locate another, but it is getting late and there is so much traffic, and lanes and exits and construction, and I am just not a big fan of city driving so I head back to the KOA. This is where the flares come in, I am driving along a bridge when a construction worker just starts tossing flares onto the road, right in front of moving vehicles! So I got a bit of a light show after all!
I have after 2 ½ weeks finally made it out of Ontario and into the province of Quebec.  Woohoo!
I would also just like to mention that I am not looking for pity or complaining about my overnight stays on Walmart parking lots when I mention them. To me It is part of the adventure and it is not because I have no other options and the 9 nights so far have saved me anywhere from $20-$50 a night, which really adds up. And to those of you who worry about my safety, I am completely safe. There are many families who park their motor homes, etc. on Walmart parking lots overnight and I snug my car up close and pin up sheets for privacy. My car is actually even more comfortable than my tent as the seat has give for my hips and the ground does not. I say this as I prepare for a night in my tent on the hard ground after a fruitless trip to find an air mattress. :)
Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment