Monday, August 1, 2011

New Brunswick

I arrived in Fredericton, NB on Friday afternoon. I checked into the local hostel and because it was so close to downtown I went for a walk and ended up strolling along the walking/biking path beside river with an ice cream cone. It was very peaceful and relaxing. The next day being Sunday left me with little to do but relax some more as 90% of the town is closed on a Sunday and the few stores that actually open only do so from 12-5 pm. I sat and read in a park and then rented a bike and rode along the same path I had walked the night before, this time getting to explore a little further.
This morning I made my way to Saint John, NB not to be mistaken with St. John's, NL. I drove right to the city centre where I spotted a market. I found a parking lot right away and a wonderful surprise, parking was free because of New Brunswick Day! A welcome relief after paying $3/hour the past few places I have been. It turns out I arrived at the same time as a big cruise ship which, while crowded, ended up being a good thing because the vendors set up on cruise days and as they are on Sundays, most shops were closed for the holiday. Along the side walks for blocks and blocks were flea market type vendors with wonderful goodies! I usually associate flea markets with junk, but this one had treasures! Wonderful items that reminded me of childhood. I even purchased a Game Genie for my Nintendo! After I had exhausted the flea market I toured the streets enjoying the architecture. I had seen some signs coming in from the highway for the reversing falls, a kind of waterfall that reverses directions depending on the tide so I drove there to observe this phenomenon, but of course only saw one of the directions because I didn't feel like staying around for 6 hours for the next change. Maybe I will stop by in the morning to see what direction they are going then.
After the falls I used the GPS to find a Starbucks and it brought me to the middle of a bridge. The GPS's error ended up being a pleasant surprise. At the other end of the bridge when I went to turn around I found myself at a park with a little beach, so I abandoned my Starbucks hunt and went for a swim and sat and read enjoying the sun for awhile. As it has now cooled off I am in Starbucks one of the few places still open despite the holiday.
Tomorrow I enjoy the tides of the Bay of Fundy. I will stop by Hopewll Rocks, Fundy National Park and Cape Enrage and hopefully catch them at the right cycles of the tide.
Today is one month since I began my journey and I am almost ready to turn around and begin my trek back. Only 3 more provinces to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment